Geary Post Comrade John S. Covell provided in his will that his entire estate would go to funding a monument to be erected in what is known today as the Eugene Pioneer Cemetery. The monument was completed in 1906, and is a block of granite 20 feet high surmounted by the figure of a soldier facing the west, seven feet high, with his arms standing at “Parade Rest.”
The Post was originally chartered 29 December 1881 and mustered in 20 January 1882 under the Department of California as Kilpatrick Post No. 40 with 12 charter members. It was transferred to the Provisional Department of Oregon. The Post number was changed to 7 by Provisional Department of Oregon General Order No. 1, issued 1 June 1882. The change of the Post namesake to J. W. Geary was approved on 27 June 1882 and announced in General Order No. 2, issued 13 September 1882. The Post was associated with J. W. Geary Corps No. 4, Woman's Relief Corps (WRC).
Please see here for a detailed historical sketch of J.W. Geary Post No. 7.
J. W. Geary Post No. 7 was based in Eugene, OR. Eugene’s National Guard Armory was built in 1914. From the time it opened, they would hold meetings and special events there. The map at the bottom of the page shows the exact location.
The Post namesake is Brigadier General John White Geary (1819-1873). Geary was born 30 December 1819 in Pennsylvania. From the age of 16 he had been a militia lieutenant, and with the outbreak of the Mexican War was elected lieutenant colonel of the 2nd Pennsylvania Infantry. He served in General Scott’s force in the advance to Mexico City, and was later promoted to colonel of his regiment. Between the Mexican War and the Civil War, he organized the postal service in California, served as the first mayor of San Francisco, and was territorial governor of Kansas.
On 28 June 1861 Geary was made colonel of the 28th Pennsylvania Infantry. The regiment served under the command of General Banks. Geary was commissioned brigadier general of volunteers on 25 April 1862. He was division commander at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. His division was transferred west, fought, at Chattanooga and participated in Sherman’s March to the Sea.
Geary served as military governor of Savannah, Georgia. He was brevetted major general as of 12 January 1865. Upon his return to Pennsylvania in 1866, he was elected governor, and served two terms, from January 1867 to January 1873. Eighteen days after the end of his second term, he died in Harrisburg. He is buried in Harrisburg Cemetery.
|William H. Abrams||Co. B||9th Michigan Cavalry|
|James E. Atterbury||Co. H||122nd Illinois Infantry|
|David M. Drake||Co. K||16th Kansas Cavalry|
|Joseph P. Gill||Co. H||7th Indiana Infantry (3 months)|
|Post Commander - 1882|
|Thomas J. Gill||Co. H||7th Indiana Infantry (3 months) &|
|Co. F||5th Indiana Cavalry (90th Indiana Volunteers)|
|Orville Green||Cos. B & F||93rd New York Infantry|
|Thaddeus M. Hamilton||Co. A||50th Illinois Infantry|
|E. J. McClanahan||Co. I||7th Colorado Territory (service not confirmed)|
|James Offutt||Co. E||100th Pennsylvania Infantry|
|Post Commander - 1885|
|Horace H. Page||Co. F||1st U.S. Sharpshooters|
|James M. Shelley||Co. A||1st Oregon Infantry|
|Post Commander - 1883 & 84|
|M. D. Sweet||(service not confirmed)|
Abbreviations used above: "Bty." is short for "Battery". "Co." is short for "Company". "F&S" is short for "Field and Staff".
Note: This is not a complete cumulative roster of the Comrades (members) of this Post. As additional Comrades are identified, they will be added.
If you find someone on this list who would qualify you for membership in one of our Camps or Auxiliaries, we have the documentation of his honorable service to the Union on file.
Membership inquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you.